Monday, January 03, 2011

A Gentle Reminder



Julian has an amazing gag reflex. He can produce vomit, and frequently does, with a few coughs and the right amount of tears. Last night was one of those nights. He is {gasp} getting to that point that all mothers dread, the "if I nap, I won't go to bed until 12 a.m." point. But sometimes I need him to nap, and yesterday was one of those times. So, at 10 p.m. when other almost-three-year-olds have been in wonderland for a couple of hours, Julian was in bed crying and begging to get in my bed. I admit, I'm a big sucker for this boy, and I give into him more often than I should. He makes a scrunchie face and tells me he loves me and suddenly I'm giving him more candy. I swear, the kid knows my game.

But sleeping with Julian is not fun, so I told him to stay in his bed. Five minutes later I was regretting the decision, cleaning up vomit instead of watching TV. Julian calls vomit "choke" because we've told him if he puts too much in his mouth he'll choke, and while I went to cleaning the mess, he pointed out the stuff I was missing (Mom there's choke there. Mom wipe the choke off my bed! Get that choke!) In between policing my clean-up, he got busy looking under his crib for lost toys. Instead he found a picture of Jesus.

"Mom! Look, it's Jesus! A picture of Jesus!"

(wipe, wipe, nasty wipe....) "Yes honey, that's right. That is Jesus."

I moved to the carpet (it had to get on the carpet) and I moaned. Oh Julian! Come on buddy, the carpet?!

Then Julian, chipper as ever (and not the least bit tired) quipped, "Mom, remember Jesus died for us?"


So Julian sleept with us. I told you he knows my game.

11 comments:

jed said...

what the? i thought this blog was off the air.

Teachinfourth said...

You're back? Rock on!

Sorry about the mess the other night, reading about it got me all choked up...

DaisyJo said...

Awwwwwwww!!!

Lindsey said...

Ohhh. Ouch. That sure gets ya right in the ticker, don't it? What a sweetheart that boy is! And gosh, he sure looks like you Jayne! Crazy! Miss you guys!

Zach and Codi said...

It's so nice to know I'm not the only mother of an incredibly "gaggy" kid. Xander usually saves his best gag moments for the dinner table when I'm crazy enough to ask him to try a vegetable or some new food. If you ask him, anything new or healthy for you "makes me frow up." The time I had him try one pee was a dinner disaster.
P.S. So glad the blog is not "off the air".

Anonymous said...

Isn't it just the way sometimes, like last night my kids were being pretty ridiculous, I mean really, falling a part over the littlest things (those dang polly pocket shoes and cute accessories! and she is supposed to be responsible for cleaning up?) And then they say the something that just makes me laugh and I can't seem to keep the disciplining together. So then they think they are funny and can keep doing more of it...
Miek

Jordan said...

This is why I end naps at 2 and start putting them to bed at 5.

Anonymous said...

Oh, he is good.... E.M., Henderson NV

em kawasaki said...

pshaw! Sucker.

Bloom said...

OH MY GOSH I could have written this post myself. My Roger, who is almost the exact same age, has the same gagging problems, the same napping problems (and has since 18 months), and is the worst to sleep with. AND, always says the most darling things imaginable and bats his 9 foot long lashes at me until I give him the world and let him sleep with me (which inevitably leads to me waking up with a major crick in the neck). Glad I'm not alone. ;)

Kate @ ramblingsfromutopia said...

I spent 3 years sleeping with one of mine, she did the cry, gag vomit trick every night. I'd lay towels around her bed and kept a bowl within arms reach. We're so glad she grew out of it by age 4!