Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!



This is one of the many fantastic e-cards my talented husband created this year. Unless you're a member of ldssingles, jdate or blacksingles, you might never have the chance to see them, so I'm posting one here.

I am grateful this year for more than I have time to write, but I want to get a few down. I'm grateful:

for the pioneers and especially that I am not one of them. I always wondered why my mom always talked about the pioneers when we were little. I became a mother and now I know. I cannot imagine the strength those men and women had in crossing the plains in all kinds of horrible weather with little children. I am so grateful for their determination and faith.

for modern medicine
My children have been relatively healthy kids, but recently they have each had an infection of one sort or another and have been miserable. I am so grateful to be able to take them to a doctor and have them prescribe antibiotics to rid their bodies of infection. I don't think there is much harder to watch then your children in pain...and again we're back to the pioneers. Jed says we can't talk about the pioneers because it is too depressing.

that I'm not lonely. One of my biggest worries is that sisters in my ward are lonely. I feel it an amazing blessing to have a family that I love and want to be with and that are present in my life. I get lonely if Jed is an hour late from work--so I imagine the pain of true loneliness is one that is of desperation. I hope in some way I can help make some a little less lonely by being a good friend.

for warmth. If you know me, you know I'm a wimp about cold. But I am especially grateful every time Hazel gets out of the car and starts crying because she's cold, that she can quickly enter our warm house. That I can wrap her in warm jammies at night and know that she'll be comfortable. (Her brother on the other hand takes his jammies off routinely when I put him to bed. I'm lucky if his diaper stays on.) (Reminding you, the pioneers were freezing and had no diapers...see it can all be traced back!)

We are so blessed. I hope I will do more to bless others' lives because I have been given so much.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

8 comments:

No Big Dill said...

Jayne, We had to use packing tape on Olive's diapers for a year--tried everything else and even that was sometimes not fool-proof. (She still runs away when she hears us using the packing tape.)

I too give thanks for those same things. Pioneers, I'm sure, have a special place in heaven for what they endured. We take far too many things for granted, don't we?

PS It sounds like you need to move to the Sunshine! State!

em kawasaki said...

I a grateful for you Jayne Marie. You are always happy and easy to be around. You make more of a difference in all the lives around you than you know. We love your little family and we are very grateful for all the sweet little individuals in it.

em kawasaki said...

P.S. That ecard is lovely! Jed really is talented... I had my doubts but I stand corrected.

ali said...

I like to think of myself as a modern day pioneer. and you should too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Just last night at the Pope's house (not THE Pope), up in Hobble Creek Canyon I said, "Aren't you glad you weren't a pioneer in this darn cold!" I did....I said that. Can you imagine. And I was wearing my new puffy birthday coat (opened early) and I was SO grateful for it! The pioneers just have a special, BIG place in my heart. Sorry Jed, but I'm obsessed with those thoughts!

Anonymous said...

See, I come by it honestly. And isn't it just like Ali to put us all to shame again for our lack of pioneer spirit! (She lives in sunny California by the way!)

Anonymous said...

I think I'll start a blog dedicated to why "I'm glad I wasn't a pioneer!"

Anonymous said...

That anonymous is me, Lisa. I don't know what I did to make it anonymous. See, I'm even a lousy "modern pioneer".